Tuesday 31 January 2012

Ichi Ni Izakaya is not number 'ichi' at all

Ichi Ni Izakaya


12 The Esplanade
St Kilda 3182
(03)9534 1212




I have always been fancying dining in this joint on the Espy, St Kilda. Driving past this joint almost everyday makes me check this place out on foodie blogs which surprising suggest that this Japanese eatery is a 'hit and miss'.


Took a short stroll from home and arrived at 6:30pm on a Saturday, the place was already packed on this hot summer day. As we didn't make a reservation, we were lucky enough to be offered a space at the bar. The decor was very traditionally japanese and I was impressed with the amusing juxtaposition of western and asian crew.



Raising Sun Pale Ale ($9.50). This ale is so honeyed and crisp. I adore it.


Tapas (Yakitori) have arrived after witnessing chef showcasing the process of cooking on a flame grill.
(From left and clockwise) Nasu & Cheese which is eggplant grilled with a slice of cheese on top. ($6/2 skewers); Hotate (Scallop) ($12/2 skewers); and Gyu (beef) ($9/2 skewers).

To be honest, they are unexpectedly flavourless. Only a tad of grill taste can be detected. I would only rate them 6 out of 10. However, I have to say the eggplant with cheese was quite special.


Ichi Ni rolls ($25)

The serve was just alright, I could taste they were made in a rush and without delicacy. At this point, El and I were quite disappointed. However, the worse is yet to come.



Large sashimi ($42)

I must say this is a bloody rip-off. Sashimi was not of a decent serve and fresh. This reminiscent me of the sashimi platter ($52.50) we had at Koko in Crown, which was, in contrast, decent-sized and utterly fresh. For extra $10, I would go for the latter with no bloody doubt.

Now, the worst dish of this session is popping up...


Soft shell crab rolls ($16.50)

It was an absolute fail. Rice was just cooked, thus way too soft. (Sushi rice is supposed to be cooled down before assembling into sushi). Unfortunately, it eventuated in such a disgraceful way.

To conclude, with my asian palate and pursuit of premium taste, this joint is not recommended. Also, it was extortionately priced. The final bill was whopping $132. (I don't mind paying a hefty load of money if a satisfactory taste is on offer). However, if you are after a good vibe and a drink session with mates, this can be on your list.

Ichi Ni Izakaya is not number 'ichi' (one) at all. Depressingly.



No comments:

Post a Comment